- Instructor: Justin Smith
- Office: Korman 276
- Telephone: (215) 895-1847
- Semester: Fall 2015/2016
- Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday
I have bronchitis and will be unable to conduct class today (Monday, 11/16/2015).
- Propositional logic, truth tables
- First order logic
- Quantifiers and de Morgan’s laws
- Database queries
- Mathematical Induction
- Set Theory
- Notes on set theory
- Operations on sets
- The power set
- The Russell Paradox
- Principal of Inclusion and Exclusion; Pigeonhole
- Section 3.4:
- Permutations and Combinations
- Section 3.4-3.5: Combinations, Binomial Theorem
- Sections 4.1-4.3:
- Topological Sorting
- Relations and Databases
- Section 4.4:
- Sections 5.1-5.2:
- Representations of Graphs
- Representations of Trees
- Sections 5.3-5.4:
- Decision trees
- Huffman codes
- Sections 6.1-6.3:
- Directed graphs and binary relations
- Boolean adjacency matrices and reachability
- Warshall's algorithm
- Euler Path and Hamiltonian Circuit
- Shortest path and minimal spanning tree
- Section 8.2:
- Section 8.4
Goals of this course
- Students will learn basic logic, combinatorics and finite automata.
- Students will learn applications to computer science.
- Grades will be based on graded homework, three one-hour exams (given at the ends of weeks 3, 6, and 9), and the final.
- The final will count twice and the lowest of the resulting five grades will be dropped.
- Homeworks and quizzes will count as one tenth of an exam.
Look up your grades
Justin R. Smith